Welcome to the Hare Preservation Trust
Credit: Tony Bates
The grace and beauty of the brown hare, Lepus europaeus, have become symbolic of the British countryside. After the long winter months there can be few sights more uplifting to the human spirit than the spring-time boxing antics of these delightful creatures.
But the brown hare has become increasingly rare, especially in western regions. It is second only to the water vole as the British mammal which has shown the greatest decline during the past century.
Why not pay a visit to the HPT Blog?
New: HPT Calendar 2015
New: Drive Safe Hare Rear View Mirror Charm by Annette Tait
New: Car Stickers
New artist, new products: Hare Products by Allie Giles
New: Hare Prints by Eleanor Ludgate
For more details visit the shop
Please contact your MP and ask them to vote against a repeal of the Hunting Act. If you are any doubt about the cruelty of hare coursing please visit our Films page. Contact details for your MP can be found at: www.parliament.uk.
The Trust aims:
- To act as a focal point for the gathering of all types of information about hares and to convey that information to members through regular news bulletins.
- To raise the hare's profile through the media and promote improved education about hares.
- To encourage all landowners to view hares as welcome residents of their land and to actively participate in ways of improving the preservation and welfare of hares.
- Liaising with other charities, voluntary bodies and statutory authorities operating in furtherance of the aims and objectives of the HPT and to exchange information and advise them about hares.
- To encourage further research into the reasons for the decline of the brown hare in Britain and to propose ways in which the trend might be reversed.
- To lobby Government for increased legal protection for hares and to ensure that existing legislation is enforced.
- To promote constructive enjoyment of hares in their natural habitats, for example by hare watching, photography, video production, painting or drawing.